Some recipes require immediate serving after preparation as they lose quality quickly. Due to Robert's work schedule, I have devised several innovative methods to create recipes with unique assembly instructions. You can prepare most of the recipe beforehand and assemble it completely when you have time to sit and eat. All ingredients are combined without the dressing, making it a perfect recipe for such an occasion.
I am just like Robert, with a busy schedule, but I always try to ensure a meal is on the table come dinner time. Whenever I have the time to cook, I make a large recipe and store some of it in the freezer for later. I used jerk chicken that I had previously frozen for this salad, but all the other ingredients were fresh. The salad was flavorful and perfect for a busy night when we both had to work late.Jump To Recipe
- 1 1/2 Heads romaine lettuce
- 1/2 Pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1/8 Cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 Cup black olives
- 1/2 Jalapeno sliced
- 1/4 Cup Guacamole or one avocado sliced
- 6 Scallions sliced
- 1/4 Cup shredded cheese, we used hatch pepper gouda
- Salad dressing or vinaigrette of your choice
- 1/8 Cup Salsa
Preparation - 7 minutes Cook time - 0 minutes Serves 3-6
- It's best to layer all the dry ingredients to prevent the lettuce from getting soggy. This salad can be made a day ahead and dressed just before serving.
- Start by layering a couple of handfuls of the romaine into your mixing bowl. Then, add a few of the chopped tomatoes and black olives.
- The next layer will start again with the romaine and more tomatoes and olives, guacamole dollops, cilantro sprigs, jerked chicken, and scallions. Repeat this process until all of your ingredients are in your mixing bowl.
- When ready to serve, add your desired amount of dressing and toss the salad. Plate it and top it with a bit of cheese and salsa. Enjoy!